We had to say goodbye to my fuzzy boy Kaden this evening. He went downhill over the past few days while I was out of town, and I think my mom didn’t want to worry me. She and I took him to the E-vet and let him go peacefully.
We got him when he just turned 2. He was a terrified thing that had been loose for 3 weeks 12 miles from his previous owners. No one could catch him until they called the Busch Gardens large animal handlers. We took him in, got his vet care, and he pretty much instantly bonded with me. He used to sleep on top of me while he was being nursed up to a healthy weight.
Once healthy, he flourished despite his severe fear of everything. But at about 5 years of age was diagnosed with diabetes. It took some getting used to, but we had him on insulin and he did really well for 6 years without a crash. He had a crash several months ago due to bad food reaction and got better, but not 100%.
He had problems falling and walking since Tuesday, and they’ve gotten progressively worse in a short time. It has broken my heart to come home from vacation to have to say goodbye, but I’m glad he was peaceful and that he won’t have to deteriorate. It would break my heart more if he suffered a stroke or heart attack while I was at work one day.
He was 11 years old, a long life for a diabetic pup. And he had the best life a pup could have after the bad conditions he lived before he found a home with us.
Love you, my fuzz-monster
- colorofangels said: I am so so sorry Mel… my heart aches for you :(
- hhhellcat said: I’m so sorry for your loss, sweetie. It’s always hard when we have to say goodbye to a cherished member of our family. *hug*
- shinykari said: I’m so sorry for your loss. :(
- shinykari likes this
- thewriterchick said: *hugs* I’m sorry hon :( never doubt that you were good to him and he lived a very happy life
- thewriterchick likes this
- trick-photography1 said: I’m sorry for your loss =( It’s hard when you lose a fur baby.
- pandolfo-malatesta said: I know he had the best possible life with you, twin.
- wisteriaprincess likes this
- to-have-purpose likes this
- okiediva said: *hugs* So sorry for your loss.
- melifair posted this